Somerset Waste Board
The Somerset Waste Partnership has been working since 1992; the partner authorities are Somerset County Council, Sedgemoor, South Somerset, Mendip and West Somerset District Councils, and Taunton Deane Borough Council. For further information on the Waste Partnership please use the following weblink:
In October 2007, Somerset became the first countywide area to combine waste service functions under a single joint committee, called the Somerset Waste Board, which comprises two Councillors from each of the six Somerset local authorities.
The Board meets at least quarterly on a Friday morning and at a venue in the Taunton area. Further details can be found on the agendas for the next meeting.
The Board meetings are open to the public and at every meeting there is an opportunity for public questions, statements or petitions to be presented. Please contact the meeting covenor or administrator below for further details on how to submit a question to the Board.
When major decisions are to be discussed or made, these are published in the Waste Board's Forward Plan, in so far as they can be foreseen.
Waste Board Forward Plan
Waste Board Constitution
Below are some of the specific functions and activities of the Waste Board - a full list and further information can be found in their Constitution. In performance of the statutory functions referred to in Part I the Board shall also undertake the following activities on behalf of the Partner Authorities:
- Manage the Principal Contracts for the delivery of an integrated waste management service across the County of Somerset in so far as such service relates to all or any of the areas of the Partner Authorities through the Single Client Group;
- Act in accordance with such directions as are given by the County Council from time to time in respect of Landfill Allowances Trading Scheme (LATS) including any trading to be undertaken;
- Approve and implement the Business Plan;
- Approve and implement the Annual Action Plan;
- Seek to influence and advise central government on waste and recycling policies;
- Commission research and associated public opinion surveys etc. on waste and recycling;
- Ensure that the legal and statutory functions delegated to it by the Partner Authorities are being discharged effectively;
- Ensure that a strategic policy for waste and recycling across the County of Somerset is formulated and approved;
- Assist the Partner Authorities in meeting their respective responsibilities.
Each of the six authorities nominate two members to the Waste Board. For each Partner Authority, one of their nominations must be their portfolio holder for waste and/or the environment. The Chairman and Vice-Chairman are elected at the Annual General Meeting from the Board's membership. The current membership of the Board is :
Mendip District Council councillors :
Nigel Woollcombe-Adams (Vice-Chairman),
Sedgemoor District Council councillors:
Somerset County Council councillors :
Derek Yeomans (Chairman),
South Somerset District Council councillors :
Jo Roundell Greene,
Taunton Deane Borough Council councillors:
West Somerset District Council councillors:
|Lead Officer:||Steve Read, Managing Director, Somerset Waste Partnership|
|Convenor:||Scott Wooldridge, Service Manager - Executive|
|Administrative support:||Vicki May|
|Senior Community Governance Officer|
01823 357148 or 355013
24/06/2013 at 10:00